(SOLVED) NUT 130: Study Questions (Unit 1: Nutrition) V2 1. Define Nutrient. 2. Define Essential Nutrient.
NUT 130: Study Questions (Unit 1: Nutrition) V2
Questions: Make sure you are able to answer the following questions before moving to your Unit 1 Exam.
1. Define Nutrient.
2. Define Essential Nutrient.
3. What are the six classes of nutrients?
4. What is the difference between macronutrient and macronutrient?
5. Which nutrients are the "energy nutrients"?
6. How does the body produce energy?
7. Describe the structure (name of "building blocks), categories (i.e. unsaturated/vs saturated), function, and two food sources (one nutrient-dense and empty calorie) in each nutrient class.
8. In nutritional chemistry, what does the term organic mean?
9. Which of the six classes of nutrients are organic? In organic?
10. Which nutrient does the body use during high intensity activity?
11. Can the body run off of fat for energy?
12. Which cell(s) if any can NOT use fat for energy?
13. Which cell(s) if any can ONLY use carbs for energy?
14. How many amino acids are there? How many are essential?
15. What is a complete protein?
16. What is an incomplete protein?
17. What does it mean by complimentary proteins?
18. What type of fat is essential?
19. What type of fat is non-essential?
20. What type of fat increases risk of heart disease (according to epidemiological studies)?
21. What type of fat decreases the risk of heart disease (according to epidemiological studies)?
22. What are phytochemicals?
23. Describe the Mediterranean diet.
24. What is the difference between Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) and Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)? What do EAR, AI, and UL stand for? Define each category. (What are the dietary reference intakes?)
25. What is MyPlate?
26. What are the dietary guidelines for Americans?
27. What are some main health and nutrition concerns for modern Americans?
Expert Solution Preview
5. Carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins are the................................