You have been working as a general manager for a small gasket company for several years. You have been able to increase the company’s sales from $10 million 3 years ago to $17 million last year. However, several of your employees are starting to complain. The owner of the company has told you that the employees feel like you are micromanaging them. They say that you will not let them do their job and that you are always hovering around them. The owner has asked to meet with you to address these concerns.
Please answer the following questions:
- As the general manager, you are also a leader in the company. What actions would best exemplify your role as a leader?
- As a leader in the organization, what outcomes best describe the interactive process between you and your team?
- Based on the comments from your team, which of the bases of power are you using to influence them?
- What kind of leadership strategy are you using if you address the concerns of your team by telling them that the reason you micromanage is that a few years ago you left another group of workers to manage themselves and their quality of work went down?
- As the general manager, one of your key responsibilities is to evaluate and take corrective action concerning the allocation and use of human, financial, and material resources. Which of your managerial responsibilities does this describe?
- The owner of the company tells you that as the general manager, one of your critical roles is to train, counsel, motivate, and direct your subordinates. What role does this represent?
- What type of conflict does your team have with you as their general manager?
- In which stage of the conflict process were your employees when they went to the owner of the company to discuss the issues that they are having with you?
- In which stage of the conflict process were you when you discussed your employees’ concerns with the owner of the company?
- What type of conflict strategy are you engaging if you acknowledge your employees’ concerns about your behavior but do not change your behavior?
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title page: Remember the running head. The title should be in all capitals.
- Length: 3 pages minimum
- Body: This begins on the page following the title page and abstract page and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The typeface should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics, except as required for APA-level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 3 pages. In-body academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- Reference page: References that align with your in-body academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hanging indent, italics, and uppercase and lowercase usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference page is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-body citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-body citation.